To start a brand new CI/CD project three tools are necessary:
- Git, a source control tool;
- Nexus, a binary repository tool; and
- Jenkins, an automation tool.
The above list are widely used FLOSS projects. Any other set of tools will fit the bill. There are two rules to follow no matter what:
- there is absolutely no space for manual steps, from development to deployment in live environments. It means that every test and deployment must be automated and scripted; and
- every piece of code, configuration and scripts mus be kept in source control.